It is recommended that members insure their boats and equipment against loss or damage – as the club only has insurance for club boats and cannot accept liability for members owned boats and equipment. There is no club provided insurance or liability for members boats and equipment.
There is no club insurance that covers members boats and equipment.
The Club has insurance for club boats only in the club house. In the event of either fire, theft or another event at the boathouse each member would be liable for the loss of their boat or equipment. At the club your private owned boats and equipment are NOT covered – they are left in the boathouse at your own risk.
Members Boats are not insured for transporting. Members boats are neither covered when being transported on club trailers or on other people’s cars. Boats and personal paddles are not covered by the club insurance or trailer insurance. The fee charged for transporting members boats to events is purely to cover fuel and car costs NOT insurance.
- Members boats are transported at the risk of the owner of the boat and/or equipment.
- Any Club Officer or Member involved in the transportation of boats is not responsible for the welfare of the boat and/or equipment.
- If you ask other people to transport your boats it is at your risk – please make sure you have the insurance in place.
- Members are responsible for ensuring their own boats are securely tied down on trailers an vehicles.
Options for Insurance
- 3rd Party Insurance: British Canoeing Membership includes 3rd Party Insurance. The 3rd party insurance covers up to £10 million in cover. This policy covers the cost of defending yourself against a claim in the event that you are held responsible for an injury to someone else or damage to their property.
- Boat Insurance with British Canoeing Membership. When you take out your British Canoeing membership, you can choose to include either individual, multi craft, individual plus or multi craft plus cover. This is provided by Towergate Insurance Brokers. The insurance comprises:
- Cover for canoes, kayaks, paddleboards, paddles, helmets and buoyancy aids
- Cover for accidental loss or damage
- Up to 30 days in Europe at any one time
- Cover for all canoeing activities, including competitions
See https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/membership/why-join-british-canoeing/craft-insurance for more details
Club Policy Document